I admit, I jump on the Taco Tuesday bandwagon every now and again, when I remember about Taco Tuesday AND I have taco ingredients handy. Tacos in the McKinney Kitchen usually consist of a ground meat (beef or turkey) with toppings and a side of black beans and frozen corn. This week I had wanted to make green rice that I found on the cookieandkate webpage. I have brown rice in the panty for the rare time I make rice (not a big hit in this household) and the greens I had to make do with what I had in the house.
If you follow the link above, it takes you to the recipe that inspired my green rice. I had rice, cilantro and garlic. I did not have baby spinach, jalapeño, shallot or veggie broth. So, what I ended up making my green rice from was rice, cilantro, garlic, frozen spinach, green onions, water and lime.
My blended green sauce before adding it to the rice. The inspiration green sauce was a lot more loose and mine looked more like a paste. I think that had a lot to do with using frozen spinach instead of fresh. My paste also didn’t break down the spinach as much as in the original, again probably because I used frozen spinach.
The rice turned out pretty good. The stringy spinach was kind of off putting, but blend it a bit longer and it will be fine.
A fragrant, flavorful rice dish.
Inspired from cookieandkate.com
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- 1 T. Butter
- 1 c. brown rice
- 2 1/2 c. water, divided
- 1/2 c. cilantro
- 3 green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 package of frozen spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lime
- In a blender or food processor, add 1/2 c. of water, cilantro, green onions, garlic and spinach and process until smooth.
- In a sauce pot, add the oil and butter (or all oil) and heat until warm. Add rice and toast until golden brown.
- Add green sauce to the rice and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 c. of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 45-50 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime over the rice and fluff with fork.
Green rice, yay or nay?